Sunday, September 27, 2009

Finished training

I officially finished training on Thursday, which means now I get to do some actual work.  First up: researching how climate change is likely to cause displacement and conflict.  Should be interesting, but I have to say, reading climate change articles is awfully depressing.  It goes so quickly from "Here's what is likely to happen with a 1 degree Celsius increase in average temperatures" to "We're all doomed!"

Also, I should clarify: my official mandated training is over (10 weeks of it, in case you haven't been counting), but that doesn't mean that I'm actually done with training.  Now I just get to choose which trainings I want/think I need to take.  So this next week I have a one-and-a-half day training (if they let me into the class, I'm keeping my fingers crossed on that one) on how to use field communications equipment like satellite phones.  And next week I have a training to learn how to respond to disasters as part of a deployed team (DART - Disaster Assistance Response Team).

So I'm still going to be really busy; actually I'm not quite sure how I'm going to find time to get the climate change project done.  Might have to do some super early mornings (because I hate late nights).

2 comments:

Kaitlyn said...

Hi! My name is Kaitlyn and I'm a PCV in Ecuador. I'm interested in eventually applying to be a Crisis, Stabilization and Governance Officer. I was wondering if you could tell me a little more about the actual duties and qualifications of your job. Where and what did you study? How competitive is the job? What made you stand out? What are the living arrangements? How often will you be living abroad? And, more importantly, what do you actually do? Is it a 9-5 job? Or is it more unstructured? Do you have any additional advice for a future USAID wanna-be employee? I would really appreciate any any info you could send me! My email is klare1985@gmail.com. Thank you!

Kaitlyn said...

Oops! I am so sorry. I miss-typed my email address. It is klarge1985@gmail.com. Sorry! I hope you are doing well. I enjoy your blog.