Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Kenyan constitutional referendum

Today Kenyans vote on whether to adopt a new constitution.  I haven't studied the proposed constitution, or the current one, closely, but my understanding is that one of the most important differences is a decrease in the power of the presidency, which has long been called for in Kenya.  However, (and unfortunately I think), politicians and the media have instead tended to focus on two sections in the proposed constitution: one which allows abortion if the life of the mother is endangered (compared to an absolute ban currently), and another provision which allows Muslims to go to Muslim "Kadhis courts" for marriage, divorce, and inheritance matters, which they are already able to do anyway under the current constitution. 

In any case, after all the violence following the elections in 2007, there is a lot of nervousness that there could be violence again with this referendum.  But this time the government, the Kenyan Red Cross ( which is the designated first responder for humanitarian crises), the UN agencies, NGOs, and the USAID Office of Foreign Disaster Assistance (where I work) are prepared. 

So we are praying for peace, but ready to respond if things go the other way. I'll update later when we know more. 

And for those of you who worry about me, don't worry, I'm very safe.

0 comments: