Monday, June 18, 2007

Village in the sky


written Saturday, 16 June 2007

Today at lunch my host sisters asked me if I know about the village in the sky. At first I thought they were talking about heaven, but they said no, they mean a real village, with people and huts and sheep and donkeys. They said a previous volunteer had told them about it.

I'm guessing that the previous volunteer had been trying to talk to them about space travel, or the international space station, or maybe even the possibility of life on other planets. I could have tried to explain space travel to them, or maybe talked with them about whether they believe in aliens, but they have been giving me a really hard time lately, laughing at my toubab ridiculousness, so I just took the opportunity to really enjoy laughing at them and their village in the sky for once. (They weren't offended).

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've stumbled on your blog in trying to find more about development work...it's great to hear from someone on the ground. I've spent significant time in rural Brazil and there are some similarities, although the cultural differences seem much greater. Keep up the good work and the writing, thanks!

Christopher - Portland, OR