Sunday, August 19, 2007

pictures and update on my host family

I have been able to post some pictures from the flood on picasaweb: http://picasaweb.google.com/aidworkr/Flood.
 
My host family is slowly getting their house cleaned up and getting back to normal.  They spent about four or five days this week just washing clothes and other items (by hand, because that's how it's done here, so it's really hard work).  They called a mason to their house to look at the collapsed outer wall and the giant crack in the living room wall.  The mason will rebuild the outer wall, and he said that the crack indicates some structural damage, so he will have to knock out that whole section of wall, insert some steel beams for support, and then rebuild the wall.  Luckily (at least for my host family) the house is rented, so my host family doesn't have to pay for those repairs.  But it sounds like it will be quite a while before the house is in pre-flood conditions.  They are continuing to search for a new house to move into, since my host mother feels that the current house is just not safe enough anymore, but since many families have been flooded and are now looking to move, they haven't been able to find a new house to move to yet.
 
Many, many thanks to all of you who have so generously contributed to help my family.  So far your contributions have enabled them to re-supply themselves with food and to buy new mats to cover the concrete floors, replacing those that were ruined.  I still have another installment of your contributions to give them (as soon as I can get to the bank - hopefully tomorrow), which will help them to replace their bed mattresses. (I hate that all week they have had to choose between sleeping on the hard concrete floor and sleeping on damp, stinky mattresses).
 
My host family has asked me to tell everyone how grateful they are, and to say that they wish everyone long lives and lots of money (and for me, they told me they are also praying for me to get a good husband!).

0 comments: