Monday, July 23, 2007

Money issues

written Thursday, 12 July 2007

 

 

I am starting to feel very worn down and stressed by people demanding money from me.  It has gone from being just people I know well in the village asking for money for important things like to buy medicine, to people I don't know well at all demanding money for trivial things like snacks at the weekly market.

 

I know that people expecting me to buy things for them stems from the communal culture here, where everything is shared and people are expected to help out those less fortunate. (For example, if someone comes along while you are eating, you must invite them to share the meal with you, even if you already don't have enough for yourself).   But it is still very jarring to me to have people come and demand money from me as if they have a right to it. - For example, when I was at the well getting water yesterday, a woman I know only slightly asked if I was planning to go to the weekly market the next day.   When I said yes, she said that I must buy clothes for her children.  When I said I don't have the money for that, she started berating me, saying yes, you do have the money!

 

And then, how to ever make people understand that even though I am a "rich toubab" I am living on a small Peace Corps allowance, which is calculated to be enough to provide for my basic needs but not those of the whole village?

 

Maybe I am just being a stingy American.  But it is hard trying to make friends and integrate into a community when it feels as if everyone is primarily interested in what money and gifts they can get out of you.   And I am wondering if this "Donne moi un cadeau" (Give me a present) culture exists in all poor countries, as a logical effort to take advantage of every opportunity (i.e . toubabs) that presents itself, or if this is only an African, West African, or Senegalese phenomenon.

0 comments: