Monday, July 23, 2007

Toubab sighting

written Monday, 9 July 2007

 

 

A few weeks ago I was in a neighboring small town at the market and saw another toubab - a girl around my age wearing a pagne like the local women wear, so probably not a tourist.   I wondered what she was doing there and if she might be living in the area, and she clearly noticed me too.

 

I couldn't make up my mind whether to go talk to her or not - it seems tantamount to saying, "Hey, you're white like me!   Let's be friends!"  As if that meant we would automatically have more in common with each other than with the Senegalese.  But then it also seems weird to ignore each other.

 

In the end, we said hi, but that was it.  What is the correct protocol for these situations?

1 comments:

Nick said...

Go up and introduce yourself! Even here in Mumbai (Bombay) - where there are lots of foreigners - I still like going up and introducing myself to strangers. It has been a great way for me to make some friends and learn about tricks and how other people are adapting.