Saturday, July 05, 2008

The American Club

Written 28 June 2008

 

While I was in Dakar, I went one day to The American Club, which is essentially a country club for expats.  From what I understand, it was originally only open to Americans (hence the name, which was actually changed some years ago because of security concerns, but everyone still calls it The American Club), but now it's open to all expats.  It's got tennis courts, and a pool, and a little canteen that sells American food like hamburgers.  And Peace Corps Volunteers can get in free, no membership hassle required.

 

Unlike the Senegalese, who (I am told, I haven't actually read the rule book) can't get in at all.  Not as a monthly dues-paying member, and not as the guest of a member.  Which just seems awfully racist to me.  So here's my problem: I like the American Club.  It's nice to have a place to go where I can speak English, and not be hassled by people asking me for money or to take them to America, and where I can wear culturally inappropriate clothes (like a swimsuit).  But it feels like I'm patronizing a white-only establishment during American Jim Crow times or South African apartheid (not that I ever experienced either of those).

 

So, tell me: is it wrong to have a club only for expats?  What if it were a club only for doctors or lawyers?  No one would care about that.  So is a club only for expats any different?  (Or maybe no one does care, except for me.  It's not as if the Senegalese are staging a protest outside the door).

 

So someone please tell me if it is okay for me to go there, because I like it and would like to go back, but I don't want to support racism.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

GO! It's fine! I understand your hesitance, but if the Sengalese don't seem to mind, then it's probably not as big a deal as you are thinking it is!

~Shannan