Saturday, July 05, 2008

Guinea vacation day 10: Pita and Labe

Sira and I decided that we had seen all the sights in Guinea that we really wanted to see, so we got up early in the morning to start making our way back to Senegal.  We decided to bike to Pita, 53 kilometers away.  It was a perfect ride, almost entirely downhill, so we made it in just a few hours. 

 

In Pita we got lunch at a roadside stand (rice and meat) and guzzled down some bissap (hibiscus flower) juice.  While I was drinking, I felt something solid in my mouth – a bug.  Nice.  Shortly afterward, Sira and I both had stomach aches.  I don't know if it was the meat or the buggy bissap, but we both recovered after an hour or so.

 

From Pita we took a car to Labe, and this time stayed at the Peace Corps "house" – the Hotel La Campagne.  It was easily the nicest place we stayed at in Guinea, and even had a mosquito net for the bed.  We had pizza again for dinner, but theirs wasn't quite as good as at the other place.

0 comments: