Friday, July 25, 2008

Strike

Written Saturday, 19 July 2008

My host brother told me that he is going on strike against God because the rain hasn't come. No more praying, no more going to mosque. I told him that sounds like the sort of thing that gets you smited by lightning. But he said he doesn't care, he's mad and he's going on strike.

I told him I had a better idea – why not convert to Christianity? Maybe God likes Christians better, and then he'll make the rains come. Good idea! my brother said. After all, it always rains in Christian countries, and Christians are rich! (Guess he wasn't thinking of all the poor countries in Africa and Latin America that are majority Christian).

So chalk me up for one Christian convert so far.

* Just in case it isn't clear: this conversation did actually happen, but of course neither of us were serious, except about being worried about the rains not coming.


0 comments: