Saturday, July 05, 2008

Dakar Mid-Service Health Exam

Shortly after getting back from my vacation in Guinea, I had to go up to Dakar to get my last vaccination (of about 50 I've had to get since coming here, or so it seems anyway), and also for my mid-service health exam.  The Peace Corps nurse checked my vital signs, proving that I'm still alive, and tested me for tuberculosis (which you can get from drinking raw milk, which I do every chance I get, which isn't that often) and for schistosomiasis (which is a parasite you can get from swimming in infested water, which I did in Kedougou).  She also offered to test me for giardia and amoebas, but I haven't had any stomach problems at all lately, so I decided to pass on that one.

 

After three wonderful days of cool Dakar weather, good food, and all the internet I wanted I got my test results back: I am TB and parasite free!  Alhamdoulilah!  (Not that I was worried, and anyway if I had been infected I would just have gotten treated, no big deal, but it's nice to know for sure).

0 comments: