Saturday, April 21, 2007

Bikes

written Saturday, 21 April 2007


We are supposed to be issued our bikes on Wednesday (finally!), accompanied by a three hour bike training (which I hope is going to cover bike maintenance and not how to ride a bike). I'm really looking forward to having a bike, except that they are giving us all men's bikes. I think the seats for men's bikes are really uncomfortable, and the horizontal crossbar is really impractical for girls considering Peace Corps has been pushing us to dress "culturally appropriately" - a.k.a. long skirts.

So I decided to do something about it. I wrote a letter to the Peace Corps Country Director asking them to make women's bikes available for volunteers who want them, and I got most of the other girls to sign it. I'm not expecting much, but maybe they'll at least give us women's seats.

Anyway, it was a fun little project for a day. We'll see what happens.

0 comments: