Monday, April 16, 2007

Weekend at the beach

I spent the weekend at the beach in Popenguin, a village about 35 km away from Thies. One of my trainee friends organized it, finding a house for a big group of us trainees to stay at and arranging for an Alham bus to take us there and back.

The house was beautiful, with the most impressive features being real bathrooms! in every bedroom! with real toilets and running water! Such luxury! I really didn't feel like I was in Africa while we were there - the houses on the beach were all pretty typical beach houses, mostly Colonial architecture, and there were more toubabs than locals. We did see a couple of monkeys though, but I think they were being kept as pets by this toubab restaurant owner, so they don't really count.

So it was a really nice, much needed break. I got sunburned, but not too badly, and took a lot of pictures, which I will try to upload next time I'm on the computer (the computer I'm on today isn't letting me use any peripherals).

I'm back in Thies now, with only four weeks left to go of training, and then I will be off to my village!

I have a new mailing address for my village, so if anyone sends me mail (please?)after this Friday (April 20), please send it to the new address, which I will send out by email.

0 comments: