Wednesday, May 02, 2007

My atrophying left hand

My atrophying left hand

written Sunday, 29 April 2007

 

I was warned before I came to Senegal that I would not be allowed to do a lot of things with my left hand, including eating and handing things to people, because the left hand is considered dirty (because it is the hand you use in the bathroom, as a substitute for toilet paper).  

 

I was afraid, since I am left handed, I would be constantly forgetting and offending people by using my left hand, but as it turns out, I made myself so paranoid about doing the wrong thing that I hardly use my left hand for anything anymore (except writing, which I just can't do with my right hand).   Even when I am with other Americans and I consciously tell myself that I can use my left hand, I can hardly bring myself to do it.

 

I am a little afraid that my left arm is going to atrophy and fall off from lack of use.


0 comments: