Thursday, May 24, 2007

Space

written Sunday, 20 May 2007

 

 

The hardest thing about living here, for me, is the lack of privacy and space.  Before moving to the village, Peace Corps warned us that wee might have a hard time finding things to do with our time at first, and they advised us to avoid spending too much time alone in our huts, reading or whatever.   So I had mentally prepared myself for having lots of free time to fill and to force myself to go out of my hut and be social.  So I wasn't prepared at all for having no time for myself and no privacy.

 

From breakfast at 7:00 am until bedtime I am with my family or my counterpart or surrounded by kids who are fascinated by the new toubab.   If I make an excuse to go back to my hut (I need to get water/go to the bathroom/take a nap/etc.), usually less than ten minutes go by before someone, or more likely ten people, come over to see what I'm up to or to look at my toubab stuff or to just hang out.

 

I am glad that the people here have been so friendly and welcoming and looking out for me, but it is stressful not getting any time to myself or being able to make my own schedule.   I hope I can get used to never being alone, or else that the villagers get used to me being here and don't feel the need to peek in my windows at all hours of the day (or just walk straight into my hut) to see what I'm up to.   Otherwise, I'm just not sure how I'll survive here.

0 comments: